POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:24:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Jul 2008 18:59:04
Message: <487e7d38@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:37:22 -0400, Nicolas George wrote:

> Jim Henderson  wrote in message <487e4670$1@news.povray.org>:
>> It's worked for software publishers for quite some time...
>
> I try avoid shareware as much as possible. Could you explain in what
> sense it "works"?

Shareware authors get their software included in magazines and such
fairly regularly - all that has to happen is the publisher asks
permission (or the author asks the publisher to include it on a
compilation disc).

I've seen this successfully used for many years.  Personally, I don't
think it's too much to ask if the authors want to control distribution
that the publishers who want to include it ask for permission.  After
all, if I (as a website owner) want to repurpose a Magazine's content,
I'm required by law to ask for permission unless I want to excerpt under
fair use.  If I want to reproduce the content in its entirety, I MUST ask
permission.

Why should software be any different if the author chooses to follow this
standard convention?

Jim